Sunday 20 May 2012

The Idiot strikes again


After last week’s critique I have been searching far and wide for a theme for my blog.  I thought finance, so I went in search of finance news around the world and after an exhaustive search of about five minutes I found myself a little bewildered by such serious looking reporters all wearing suits and sounding like a priest at a funeral.  So I moved on to sports and after about fifteen minutes on you Tube looking at the hardest tackles in rugby I still hadn’t found my fix. 

So I did what anyone in my position would do, I watched an episode of my favorite TV series (illegally downloaded of course) and re-looked at my blog page, made a quick call to a friend and after lots of gossiping found a theme for my blog.  My blog will now focus on the idiots of our world.  Yes nothing like reading about some genius who used all of their brain power and ended up in the hospital or even worse on YouTube for some stunt.


My blog is dedicated to exactly that.  Finding the world’s idiots!  And it seems they are not hard to find, it could possibly be the global recession which caused so many of our fine species to look for alternatives to keep themselves busy or just the recent lunar eclipse but they are out there and they are getting into their idiotic business with renewed energy.  Let’s look at today’s offering.

In an effort to raise revenue many countries around the world have resorted to spending cuts as a means of bringing down debt and saving on cost.  You may have heard that Greece spent Euros like a teenager with Dad’s credit Card and now Dad (aka the EU) has to foot the bill.  So with so much uncertainty and fear globally about the economy some counties are taking the whole saving money theme to the next level.

On Friday May 18 a Parliamentary Commission met in Italy to discuss how to tackle the need for city councils to raise much needed revenue.  Some brilliant politician came up with the proposal to tax all the dogs and cat owners for owning them as pets.  As soon as word got out that the tax proposal was on the table, Italians everywhere was in a huge uproar.

Once the news services got wind of the proposal it went from a simple proposal to an attack on Italian sovereignty.  Some of the reaction to the proposal was

“The tax, on domestic "animals of affection," was meant to help the debt-strapped country raise revenue. But everyone from animal rights groups to politicians protested it, saying it would encourage people to abandon their animals and calling it "grotesque," "surreal," "idiotic" and "shameful," among other things.”

Domenico Scilipoti an Italian parliamentarian went on to say “The only thing that's leftto tax are wives and children,"  And yes you guessed it before you can say cappuccino the proposal was dead in the water and Italy was again back to normal. 

1 comment:

  1. Put the link before the block quote in just 2-3 words. There's not a lot of news analysis in here. There is a lot of stream of consciousness. You switch from the first person singular to the first person plural. Write in the third person.

    ReplyDelete